MY HEALTH STORY:
My wake up call:
As a healthy young college student in late 2001, I was surprised as I watched by body begin to
decline, after weeks of heavy chronic fatigue sleeping up to 22 hours a day and finally turning
orange with jaundice, I spent the next year going from doctor to doctor to try to get a diagnosis.
When I was finally diagnosed with chronic autoimmune hepatitis, I was told by every specialist
that my chronic autoimmune disease was incurable and I would need to be heavily medicated for
life, and will need a liver transplant one day.
In disbelief that this was going to be my life:
Once on medication, surprisingly I didn’t feel any better. I still had a laundry list of
uncomfortable symptoms and my teenage body felt very old and weak. I felt as if my body had
given up on me and I was forced to drop out of life and stay in bed—-for 2 years. Doctors said
that this was what came with the disease and I would have to live with it forever.
My turn around:
After 2 years of living this way I decided I wasn’t going to settle for this and I knew I needed to
take action. I decided to search for answers and I threw myself into books, research, education,
met with numerous health experts of all kinds and philosophies. I began to implement many
different strategies to health. For the first time in years my energy began to slowly improve.
I transformed my life.
To the surprise of my doctors, after changing what I was eating, healing my gut, lessening stress,
getting rid of toxins and allergens I was able to completely reverse my autoimmune disease as
well as get off all medications. As a bonus the laundry list of symptoms also disappeared. I
felt better than I had felt in my entire life.
My 3 keys to my success:
1. Food is medicine. The food we eat directly effects our health and how we feel on a daily basis.
Our diet directly influences our level of inflammation, ease of digestion, hormone balance, blood
sugar, cholesterol, sleep, mood, bone health, weight management, skin elasticity and tone, brain
function, genetic expression and disease…to name a few!
2. Listen to my bodies messages. To this day, I continue to listen to my bodies signals and inner
wisdom. It is so easy to ignore our bodies little red flags: fatigue, allergies, bloating, headaches,
PMS, runny nose, moodiness etc. These are all little messages that something is not right, these
are NOT signs of getting older NOR are they genetic. We have the power to change our health.
3. Be choosy about your health care team. I learned that pills are not getting to the root of
my health issues, they were only keeping me sick. In order to heal, it is essential to find a
support team of open minded practitioners that will listen to you and help you get to the root of
what is going on in your body and not put bandaids over your current symptoms. It is critical
have a conventional doctor but a ALSO a holistic, naturopath and/or functional medicine doctor
who can help you get some testing that will help you find the actual root cause of your disease.
Shop around for a support team…. you are worth it!
Here is a list of the UN-truths that I was told at the time by my very well meaning MD’s:
“You never be able to have children because of the severity of the drugs” .
“You will need a liver transplant and will most likely get another autoimmune disease as well”.
“If you do not stay on medication for the rest of your life, you will die”.
“Nutrition and supplements are useless and will not help you” .
“Your symptoms are all in your head”.
“Stress management practices are a waste of time.”
“You will have these symptoms for the rest of your life. “
“You will have this condition for the rest of your life and need to be medicated to treat it”.
“The reason why you got sick was purely from genetics, there was nothing else you could do”.
“You will never be able to drink alcohol again”.
- I have an amazing and healthy son and am planning for more children in the future.
- All of my symptoms are gone, including “chronic” autoimmune hepatitis and my liver is
- extremely healthy.
- I have been off medication for over 10 years now.
- Supplements really made a noticeable difference to my health, especially in the beginning when I
- was really sick.
- My symptoms were very real. Thankfully I listened to my bodies signals (instead of my doctor)
- and kept searching for more answers to my health problems.
- Nutrition has transformed my health …and my life!
- Stress management is absolutely ESSENTIAL.
- My doctor left me a message about 10 years ago that said: “you show no signs of you ever
- having that disease. If I didn’t know your history, I would never have known.”
- My environment, toxin level, diet, nutrient deficiencies and inflamed gut where the underlying
- causes of my illness, all things which I was able to change. I was sending my body the wrong
- messages as well as ignoring my body’s signals.
- I stopped alcohol for about 10 years. Now I am able to enjoy alcohol whenever I choose.
Here is a list of the symptoms/diagnoses that I had that I don’t have anymore because of
how I eat and live:
- Autoimmune Hepatitis
- Severe fatigue (was sleeping for up to 20 plus hours a day in the beginning)
- Digestive issues
- Allergies (seasonal)
- Intestinal permeability
- Weight gain (25 lbs)
- Severe Brain Fog
- Hormone roller coaster
- Memory problems (very limited short term memory, very difficult to have a conversation)
- Sugar and bread cravings
- Extremely low energy/ General low energy
- Restless leg syndrome
- Sleeping soundly
- It is so important to know that you can feel better!
It has been almost 2 decades now of being on a health journey and I haven’t looked back. It has
taught me so much about taking care of myself and living life to the fullest. Having my first
baby knocked my socks off a bit and I needed to take time out to replenish, nourish and heal my
gut….. again. That time, I knew just what to do.
It is absolutely possible to feel better. The power to heal is in your hands!
I would really love to connect with you!
If you have a story you would like to share please go to the Inspired Healing page! Also stay
connected with me through Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest. Don’t forget to join my
community …we are in this together!